Prince William is set to travel to New York City in September to attend the second Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit. The trip will be the first time a member of the royal family traveled to the metropolitan area since Meghan Markle and Prince Harry accused the paparazzi of hunting them down earlier this year.
William is scheduled to participate in a series of engagements in the city on September 18 and 19. His trip will also include the New York Climate Week and the 78th session of the UN General Assembly.
After they left the venue, the couple said they were chased through Manhattan by photographers, but the duo's story was questioned by celebrities and Mayor Eric Adams. Their experience had several similarities to Princess Diana's fatal car crash.
"As far as staying out of sight and being scared to show their faces, that’s not going to happen," the close friend added. "[This has] just strengthened their resolve to keep standing up for themselves and speaking out when they feel wronged."
"This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers," the couple's spokesperson said. "While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety. Dissemination of these images, given the ways in which they were obtained, encourages a highly intrusive practice that is dangerous to all involved."
Despite their declaration, the account didn't align with the city's police records. "There were no reported collisions, summonses, injuries or arrests in regard," NYPD confirmed.