Prince Harry Learned He Was Stripped Of His Military Roles Right Before Oprah Winfrey Interview, 'That's What Made Him So Angry,' Source Claims

prince harry military
Source: MEGA

Jun. 21 2021, Published 12:19 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

If you're wondering why Prince Harry didn't hold back during the Oprah Winfrey interview in March, there might be a good explanation.

Article continues below advertisement

Apparently, right before Harry and Meghan Markle got candid about the royal family, he learned that he wouldn't be able to keep his military titles.

“There was a bust-up just before Oprah but it wasn’t to do with Archie’s title," a source told The Sun. “That had been known and discussed for quite a while. Harry and Meghan were very cross before Oprah because the final Megxit separation had just been signed off which included Harry not keeping military roles. That was what made him so angry. He’s very emotional and his military roles were very important to him given that he served.”

Article continues below advertisement

After Harry — who served two tours of Afghanistan — and the former actress stepped away from the royal family in March 2020, Queen Elizabeth removed three roles: Captain General Royal Marines, Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington in Suffolk and Commodore-in-Chief Small Ships and Diving, Royal Naval Command.

Article continues below advertisement

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family,” a statement from Buckingham Palace read at the time. “Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service. The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.” 

The statement continued, “While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”

Article continues below advertisement

The outlet reported that after hearing the news, Harry and Meghan signed up for the interview just days later.

Article continues below advertisement

Harry is set to return home before July 1, and it seems like all eyes will be on him and Prince William, as their feud has escalated over the past few months.

“The royal family, especially Prince William, is sick of all the drama being played out so publicly,” a source told In Touch, adding that "tension is brewing" ahead of the brothers' reunion.

“They’ve agreed to put their issues [aside] in public, but behind closed doors, everyone is bracing for a showdown,” the insider explained. “[Harry and William’s] relationship has been strained for months. They’re due for a long talk to hash out their issues.”

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.