It seems like Prince Harry and Prince William's relationship got worse after a report came out in March, which claimed that Meghan Markle bullied a palace staffer while living in the U.K.
In Robert Lacey's new book, Battle of Brothers: William, Harry and the Inside Story of a Family in Tumult, the author detailed what allegedly went down between the two brothers earlier this year.
“Prince William went ballistic when he heard the ‘dossier of distress’ that [former communications secretary Jason] Knauf had gathered,” Lacey writes in an excerpt, published by The Times on Saturday, June 19, adding that the dad-of-three was “astonished and horrified.”
William believed Meghan had an "agenda" and was “undermining some precious principles of the monarchy,” the book claims.
For his part, Harry was "equally furious" that his brother believed staff members over his family, and he defended Meghan — but William felt "betrayed."
"When Harry flared up in furious defense of his wife, the elder brother persisted," the excerpt reads. "Harry shut off his phone angrily, so William went to speak to him personally. The prince was horrified by what he had just been told about Meghan's alleged behavior, and he wanted to hear what Harry had to say. The showdown between the brothers was fierce and bitter."
“He had seen it as his job to look out for Harry but this was the moment the protection had to stop,” the historian writes. “At the end of the day the British crown and all it stood for with its ancient traditions, styles and values — the mission of the monarchy — had to matter more to William than his brother did.”
Ultimately, "William simply did not want her or Harry around anymore," the book notes.
Meghan and Harry ended up moving from Kensington Palace to Frogmore Cottage since “William wished to be separated from Meghan on a day-to-day basis — and that meant being separated from his brother as well,” Lacey writes.
“‘William ‘threw Harry out,'" a friend told Lacey.
After the bullying accusations came to light, Buckingham Palace responded to the report.
“We are clearly very concerned about allegations in The Times following claims made by former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex,” the palace’s statement said. “Accordingly our HR team will look into the circumstances outlined in the article. Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned.”
Meanwhile, Meghan's representative denied the claims. “The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma,” a rep said.