Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are 'Very Upset' After Being Hunted By Paparazzi, Doria Ragland Left 'Terrified'

meghan markle prince harry upset paparazzi chase
Source: mega

May 17 2023, Updated 5:16 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Meghan Markle was honored on May 16 at the 2023 Women of Vision Award. Although the Duchess of Sussex was being celebrated for her lifelong commitment to feminism, her safety was compromised upon leaving the event. Meghan, Prince Harry and Doria Ragland's vehicle was hunted down by paparazzi, which created a life-threatening risk for the family.

Article continues below advertisement
meghan markle prince harry upset paparazzi chase
Source: mega

An insider revealed the trio was left shaken by the incident. A friend of the Sussexes claimed they "were terrified throughout the whole ordeal," and "everyone is still very upset." The family was "frighteningly pursued" by 12 photographers after exiting the ceremony.

“This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers,” the Sussexes’ spokesperson said. “While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety. Dissemination of these images, given the ways in which they were obtained, encourages a highly intrusive practice that is dangerous to all involved.”

Article continues below advertisement
meghan markle prince harry upset paparazzi chase
Source: mega

The Royal Observer previously reported the intense moment haunted the brood, according to a source close to the Sussexes. "It started off with 12 paparazzi then ended up with four chasing [Meghan, Harry and Doria]," the insider said. "Their security tried their best to lose [photographers]."

The couple's spokesperson later released a statement addressing the attack. "Last night, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Ms. Ragland were involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi," the rep confirmed. "This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers. While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety."

Article continues below advertisement
meghan markle prince harry upset paparazzi chase
Source: mega

Despite Harry's attendance at King Charles' coronation ceremony and whispers of the pair reconnecting, Buckingham Palace had no comment. The monarchy's lack of protection is one of the reasons the pair decided to step down as senior members of the royal family.

During her 2021 Oprah Winfrey interview, the Suits star claimed the firm placed her in a compromising position. "It was only once we were married and everything started to really worsen that I came to understand that, not only was I not being protected, but that they were willing to lie to protect other members of the family," she told the talk show host. "They were not willing to tell the truth to protect myself and my husband."

Buckingham Palace spoke to People.

Insiders spoke to Us Weekly.

Advertisement

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.