Meghan Markle & Prince Harry Paid $3.3 Million For Frogmore Cottage Rent & Refurbishment, New Report Reveals

harry meghan home
Source: MEGA

Jun. 24 2021, Published 9:59 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Even though Meghan Markle and Prince Harry no longer live in the U.K., they are still paying rent at their Frogmore Cottage home, a new report revealed.

Article continues below advertisement

The couple — who lived at the property before relocating to California — paid $3.3 million to the royal family in September 2020, and this payment covered rent and renovations. The cottage remains licensed to the pair until March 31, 2022.

"The payment covers all their current obligations," Sir Michael Stevens, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said on Wednesday, June 23, when speaking about the royal family's finances.

Article continues below advertisement

"We are confident that it represents a good outcome," he added about the payment. "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have made a substantial contribution to the Sovereign Grant that covered the refurbishment costs of Frogmore Cottage."

Article continues below advertisement

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Stevens said that less people traveled to the U.K. in the past year. "It should also be remembered also that this payment has come in the current year at a time where our supplementary income has reduced dramatically," he said. "[Harry and Meghan's payment] has helped to offset the reduction that we would have seen."

Harry and Meghan lived at Frogmore Cottage with their son, Archie, until March 31, 2020. They paid five month's rent on the property before providing the lump sum of $3.3 million.

Article continues below advertisement

Ever since Meghan and Harry moved to the West Coast, Princess Eugenie and her husband, Jack Brooksbank, have taken over.

Article continues below advertisement

Now, since the dad-of-two will be returning home for Princess Diana's statue unveiling, he will stay with his cousin.

“Eugenie and Jack were handed the keys last year and told they could use it while Harry and Meghan were in America," an insider said. “The cottage is now literally split into two, meaning Harry can isolate in one half of the house without ever coming into contact with his cousin and her family. It has been set up for his return after last-minute plans seemed to work when he was back for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral in April.”

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.