After weeks in the hospital, Prince Philip seems to be on the mend after undergoing heart surgery.
“The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Thursday, March 4.
“His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days,” the statement added.
The Palace revealed on February 16 that Philip was admitted to King Edward VII's hospital as "a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness's Doctor, after feeling unwell."
Shortly after, the Duke was "transferred from King Edward VII's Hospital to St Bartholomew's Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition."
Earlier this week, Duchess Camilla gave an update on Philip's condition and admitted he is "slightly improving" — but he wasn't out of the woods just yet.
Camilla noted that Philip "hurts at moments," but she was keeping her "fingers crossed."
Even though Philip's wife, Queen Elizabeth II, has been keeping busy, she is trying to put on a brave face while her husband remains in the hospital.
"It's a lot to take on. But as usual, Elizabeth is handling the stress and sadness with great dignity," an insider said, adding that Prince William, Duchess Kate and the rest of the family have been "rallying around her."
However, it's unlikely that Elizabeth, 94, will visit her hubby while he recovers. "There have been no other visitors since and I suppose that's not unusual," podcast host Chris Ship said. "We've been outside the hospital before, the Queen didn't come during the hip operation. She didn't come when he was last in the hospital.”
"I doubt very much that she's going to come at all now because of the Covid situation and being 94,” he added.