Prince Philip Transferred To St Bartholomew’s Hospital To 'Treat An Infection & Undertake Testing For Pre-Existing Heart Condition'

philip health update
Source: MEGA

Mar. 1 2021, Updated 9:09 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Prince Philip is still under the weather, Buckingham Palace confirmed to The Royal Observer on Monday, March 1. 

“The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition,” the palace said in a statement. 

Article continues below advertisement

“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week,” they added. 

Just last week, Buckingham Palace revealed why Philip, 99, was in the hospital in the first place — he was fighting an infection. 

Queen Elizabeth II’s husband is “comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave [the] hospital for several days,” the palace said at the time. 

Following the news, several family members revealed how Philip was doing. "As far as I'm aware, well I did speak to him the other day, so he's a lot better thank you very much indeed, and he's looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing,” Prince Edward said. "So we keep our fingers crossed."

Article continues below advertisement

When asked if Philip was frustrated with being in the hospital for quite some time, Edward added: "Just a bit! I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting."

Prince William also told the public that his grandfather was doing “OK,” adding that the hospital was “keeping an eye on him.”

Article continues below advertisement

Philip was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in February as "a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell. The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."

A few days later, royal correspondent Omid Scobie said Philip would continue to stay at the hospital.

"Following consultation with his doctor [Prince Philip] is likely to remain in [the] hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week," he tweeted on February 19. "As we have said previously the doctor is acting with an abundance of caution. The Duke remains in good spirits."

Philip's illness is not COVID-19 related; the Duke and the Queen got their coronavirus vaccines in January. 

Meanwhile, Elizabeth, 94, seems to be calm in the midst of the chaos. "It's a lot to take on. But as usual, Elizabeth is handling the stress and sadness with great dignity,” an insider revealed, adding that several family members "are rallying around Elizabeth."

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.