Prince Philip, 99, was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday, February 16, Buckingham Palace told The Royal Observer.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell,” the Palace said. “The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
According to the BBC, the Duke of Edinburgh's illness is not COVID-19 related.
A palace source told the outlet that Queen Elizabeth's husband traveled to the hospital by car, and his admission to the hospital is not being treated as an emergency.
Philip retired from public duties in 2017 and rarely makes public appearances. Over the years, he has dealt with his fair share of health issues.
In 2011, he was treated for a block coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire, and six months later, he had a bladder infection, which meant he had to miss the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
In June 2013, Philip had exploratory surgery on his abdomen and pulled out of an event in 2016, citing a minor ailment.
Philip was last hospitalized in December 2019 and was treated for a "pre-existing condition." He was later discharged on Christmas Eve and spent the holiday with his wife.
Throughout the pandemic, Philip has been staying at Windsor Castle with the Queen. The two even received their coronavirus vaccines earlier this year.
“The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh have today received Covid-19 vaccinations,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said in January.
According to a source, a household doctor at the Berkshire royal residence administered the shot to the couple.
As a result, Prince William was overjoyed that his grandparents were able to get the shot. "My grandparents have had the vaccine and I'm very proud of them for doing that," he said. "It's really important that everyone gets their vaccine."