When Prince Harry declined an invitation to Prince Philip's memorial service on March 29, many people were less than pleased with the decision.
"The wall of silence was as loud as if they had shouted from the abbey rafters. The normally verbose duke and duchess of Sussex said nothing," royal expert Ingrid Seward said. "No spokesperson spewed out long sentences of undecipherable wordage. There were no flowers with the florists name proudly displayed."
"No comments from Archewell. Nothing. Not even a word from their supporters on various social media accounts," she pointed out. "There has been a great deal of criticism about Prince Harry’s absence from his grandfather’s memorial service. But no reason given as to why he chose not to attend from Harry himself. A couple of weeks ago he instructed his spokesperson to say he wouldn’t be going. That was it."
Seward said that it would have been a chance for Harry, 37, and Meghan, 40, to finally see the royal's brood after all this time.
"What a missed opportunity it was not to bring Meghan and the children to join the extended royal family, European cousins and of course Archie’s contemporaries," she stated. "Their appearance would not have diverted attention away from the Queen. It was her day and no one could take that away from her not even her favorite son the Duke of York who guided her to her seat."
"The only explanation is that neither one of them wanted to go. There would have been no security problems. The whole Abbey was bristling with secret service men to guard the biggest gathering of royalty, politicians and top army brass since the London wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge," she added.
Earlier this month, the dad-of-two announced that he would not be coming back home due to lack of security. Some were shocked that he would snub his grandmother as they are very close.
"Harry must have known it would look petulant and rude. And if he did not Meghan would have," Seward said.