Home / The Wales Family / Prince Harry

Revealed: The Real Reason Behind Prince Harry's Last-Minute Buckingham Palace Snub

The recent rejection from Buckingham could also mean King Charles is nursing a bruised ego since the Sussexes avoided replying sooner.

 Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arriving for the WellChild Awards in London in September 2025. Cover Image Source: Getty Images|  Neil Mockford
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arriving for the WellChild Awards in London in September 2025. Cover Image Source: Getty Images| Neil Mockford

As a pivotal High Court verdict approaches, Prince Harry faces a clash between family privacy and public scrutiny. The ruling in his battle against Associated Newspapers, due tomorrow, comes as the Duke continues to seek the security arrangements he says are necessary for his family to return to the UK to attend charity events and to promote the 2027 Invictus Games. Amid this, King Charles reportedly extended an olive branch by offering the Sussexes security and accommodation at Buckingham Palace. For weeks, the Sussexes held off on confirming whether they'd accept the offer, and Harry only formally accepted this past weekend. By then, however, the window to stay at the royal residence had already closed — and a few key factors might explain why the Palace ultimately pulled back.

Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Joshua Sammer
 Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are attending the 2023 Invictus Games closing ceremony in Düsseldorf, Germany. Image Source: Getty Images | Joshua Sammer

After Buckingham Palace confirmed Harry would no longer be staying there, a Sussex spokesperson expressed disappointment, saying, "Following RAVEC’s decision not to provide security for his family, the Duke spent last week making alternative security arrangements. Once those arrangements were in place, he was able to formally accept the offer of accommodation for himself over the weekend...It is therefore disappointing that the offer has now been withdrawn, with Tuesday’s judgment in the Associated Newspapers Limited case cited as the reason."

They continued, "Buckingham Palace has, however, been aware of that judgment since last Thursday. It is therefore unclear why, having formally accepted the accommodation offer, it has now been withdrawn at the last moment." 

Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, lowers his head during a public appearance. Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo

The palace's version tells a different story. According to Newsweek, Charles did offer his younger son and his family accommodation at Buckingham Palace — but the Sussexes rejected it in writing on Saturday morning. They later tried to accept, but by then it was too late to arrange the necessary staffing, a royal source said. It's not the first time such an offer has fallen through. Harry has previously turned down King Charles' proposals to stay at a royal residence during UK visits because they didn't come with police protection, opting instead for undisclosed hotels so he could arrive and leave unseen.

According to Buckingham Palace's account, the decision to withdraw the offer came down to two practical issues. First, the household maintains that it requires a minimum notice period to arrange proper hospitality and staffing for a guest at a royal residence, and Harry reportedly did not formally respond to the offer by that deadline.

Second, the Palace has said the timing of Tuesday's Associated Newspapers ruling raised concerns that hosting Harry that week could compromise the King's constitutional position. The decision was reportedly made in consultation with Charles himself and communicated to Harry through official channels, with the Palace indicating that accommodation at a royal residence would remain available to him for future visits.

King Charles, and Prince Harry attend the New Zealand Memorial Service marking the centenary of the World War One Gallipoli campaign. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Paul Edwards-Pool)
King Charles and Prince Harry attend the New Zealand Memorial Service marking the centenary of the World War One Gallipoli campaign. (Image Source: Getty Images | Paul Edwards-Pool)

Sussex fans have labeled the royal family's last-minute decision as unfair. "Pretty obvious what happened. Looks like Prince Harry is going to win on his case against the Daily Mail, and the Royal family are scared shitless of the reaction. As I said, their main goal was to trick Harry and humiliate him. I really, really hope Harry will not try and meet Charles. Their excuse is beyond laughable," a netizen wrote on X, along with the screenshot of the Duke's spokesperson's statement. "I really, really hope Harry wins his case tomorrow," @Mtrix65 reacted. "They are afraid of Harry's reaction to the outcome of the case via video from Buckingham Palace. It's the biggest and most important palace," @Jackiedalle reasoned. "I hope we get a photo of the kids at Althorp! If so, Charles is done!" @kateisaliar commented. 

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

Charles is reportedly open to discussions with Harry about his potential role in the family, which is reportedly making William fume.
By Mary Anthony · 4 DAYS AGO
Earlier this month, Princess Charlotte was spotted enjoying the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow with William, Kate and her brothers.
By Medha Sengupta · 4 DAYS AGO
Prince William is one of the most popular royals, but one particular critique has refused to leave his back.
By Ira Deokule · 6 DAYS AGO
Royal protocol forbids Prince William and Kate Middleton from a lot of things, but this one particular rule is totally shocking.
By Ira Deokule · 7 DAYS AGO
Princess Anne doesn't want Prince William, Princess Kate, and their kids to feel isolated.
By Mehak Walia · 7 DAYS AGO
Princess Charlotte and her cousin are proving that behind the formal appearances, royal childhoods are still full of fun.
By Mehak Walia · 7 DAYS AGO
The less-seen royal was promoted from Viscount Severn to the Earl of Wessex after his father became the Duke of Edinburgh in 2023.
By Mary Anthony · AUG 13, 2026
Prince Harry and Kate's relationship has undergone significant changes despite once being an unshakable bond.
By Mary Anthony · AUG 13, 2026
The royal family is undergoing a major revamp, and two of their very important members are now being tipped for better roles.
By Medha Sengupta · AUG 13, 2026
Who does Princess Kate turn to when the cameras stop rolling? It isn’t who most people expect.
By Mehak Walia · AUG 13, 2026