Home / The Wales Family / Prince Harry

Prince Harry Reportedly ‘Close to Tears’ as Security Row Complicates UK Return for His Children

A fresh security decision has reportedly left Prince Harry questioning whether Meghan Markle and their children can safely join him in the UK.

Prince Harry departs the Rolls Building of the High Court after giving evidence during the Mirror Group phone hacking trial on June 6, 2023, in London. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)
Prince Harry departs the Rolls Building of the High Court after giving evidence during the Mirror Group phone hacking trial on June 6, 2023, in London. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

Prince Harry’s return to the UK has been met with a major setback due to security concerns. As he still intends to bring his wife, Meghan Markle, and children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, along, their safety has become the biggest challenge ahead of the planned trip. The entire fiasco has reportedly left him ‘close to tears.’ 

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, speaks at the International Association of Privacy Professionals Conference on March 31, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Shannon Finney/Getty Images)
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, speaks at the International Association of Privacy Professionals Conference on March 31, 2026, in Washington, DC. (Image Source: Getty Images | Shannon Finney/Getty Images)

On June 29, Harry’s spokesperson said he “continues to explore every available option” to make sure the trip can go ahead safely and “to give his children the opportunity to enjoy the UK.” However, just a few hours after the statement, the Duke reportedly began reconsidering whether to bring his family after learning that the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (RAVEC) would not provide full-time police protection during the visit. Security funded by UK taxpayers is decided by RAVEC on a case-by-case basis and is generally reserved for working members of the Royal Family.

According to a source who spoke to Vanity Fair, Harry was “devastated and close to tears” after RAVEC informed the Sussexes that full-time police protection would not be provided. The source said, “He had assumed that because he was bringing the kids, and the King had made a royal residence available to them, he would get what he had been pushing for all along—full-time police protection. That has not been the case.”  

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex shakes hands with an officer as he departs from a court case against Associated Newspapers Ltd at The Royal Courts of Justice on January 21, 2026 in London, England. (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, shakes hands with an officer as he departs from a court case against Associated Newspapers Ltd at The Royal Courts of Justice on January 21, 2026, in London, England. (Image Source: Getty Images | Peter Nicholls)

The insider also revealed, “From speaking to people close to him, it’s clear he is stressed and very disappointed in RAVEC’s decision not to give his family the security he believes they need to have to be safe when they are traveling.” Harry has been fighting to restore his taxpayer-funded police protection ever since he stepped back from royal duties and left the UK in 2020. Following his High Court appeals, RAVEC launched a fresh review of his security late last year, but the assessment has yet to be completed. 

Moreover, King Charles had offered the Sussexes a place to stay during their visit, though he would not play a role in decisions surrounding their security. It is also understood that Harry, who no longer has an official UK residence, has yet to respond to the King's offer, although it remains open. “The King has made it clear that while he wants to see his estranged son and grandchildren, he will not intervene in security matters.”

King Charles and Prince Harry attend the
King Charles and Prince Harry attend the "Our Planet" global premiere on April 04, 2019, in London. (Image Source: Getty Images | Samir Hussein/WireImage)

Harry will return to the UK this July for a special "one-year-to-go" countdown event ahead of the 2027 Invictus Games in Birmingham. His itinerary reportedly includes stops at the Invictus Games Foundation at Chatham House in London and the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

Charles is reportedly open to discussions with Harry about his potential role in the family, which is reportedly making William fume.
By Mary Anthony · 8 HOURS AGO
Earlier this month, Princess Charlotte was spotted enjoying the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow with William, Kate and her brothers.
By Medha Sengupta · 8 HOURS AGO
Prince William is one of the most popular royals, but one particular critique has refused to leave his back.
By Ira Deokule · 2 DAYS AGO
Royal protocol forbids Prince William and Kate Middleton from a lot of things, but this one particular rule is totally shocking.
By Ira Deokule · 3 DAYS AGO
Princess Anne doesn't want Prince William, Princess Kate, and their kids to feel isolated.
By Mehak Walia · 3 DAYS AGO
Princess Charlotte and her cousin are proving that behind the formal appearances, royal childhoods are still full of fun.
By Mehak Walia · 3 DAYS AGO
The less-seen royal was promoted from Viscount Severn to the Earl of Wessex after his father became the Duke of Edinburgh in 2023.
By Mary Anthony · 4 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Kate's relationship has undergone significant changes despite once being an unshakable bond.
By Mary Anthony · 4 DAYS AGO
The royal family is undergoing a major revamp, and two of their very important members are now being tipped for better roles.
By Medha Sengupta · 4 DAYS AGO
Who does Princess Kate turn to when the cameras stop rolling? It isn’t who most people expect.
By Mehak Walia · 4 DAYS AGO