Prince Harry's acclaimed Invictus Games is facing an internal crisis due to staff resignations and the hiring of Nick Booth — a former royal aide to Prince William. With "morale at an all-time low" amongst those who develop and arrange the sporting event, this has left some analysts to ponder the future of the games as controversy continues to surround the Duke of Sussex wherever he turns.
"Nick Booth is one of the Duke of Sussex's right-hand men. He was instrumental in setting up Invictus with Harry and has been asked to shore up the 2025 games with just over a year to go," an insider spilled when discussing the staff shake-up.
The event is set to be held in Vancouver-Whistler, Canada, in February 2025 and will feature winter sporting competitions for the first time. This change of region and the addition of new, winterized activities are said to be one of the causes of the strain currently being felt by organizers.
This follows two major, behind-the-scenes executives, CEO Peter Lawless and Chief Commercial Officer Bill Cooper, abruptly quitting earlier this autumn, RadarOnline.com reported.
"This is a significant setback with just over a year to deliver the Games, which I'm told are well over budget, and no plan to close the gap even after securing $30 million in government support from the Province of British Columbia and the Canadian Federal government," a source close to the games shared.
They continued: "As you can expect, the morale among the staff and volunteers is at an all-time low, and Prince Harry and his wife have become a significant distraction with all their troubles."
Harry and Meghan Markle both made several appearances at the September staging of the event, with the Duchess of Sussex being accused of "stealing the show" and making a spectacle of herself simply by showing up.
As The Royal Observer previously reported, the Duchess of Sussex was accused of upstaging the early segments of the games when she skipped the event and arrived late on Tuesday, September 12. "It’s so special to be here, and I’m sorry I’m a little late for the party," she claimed. "I had to spend a little more time getting our little ones settled at home and get them to drop off."
This led some commentators to suggest she was purposefully tardy to the event just so she could steal press headlines reporting on the sixth staging of the games. The couple's attendance at the Dusseldorf games came after months of keeping a low profile after the NYC "near catastrophic car chase" and Spotify abruptly firing the pair weeks later.
GBN reported on the insider revelations.