William & George Could Take Historic US Trip Together ― But One Royal Rule May Stand in the Way
Prince William and Prince George are rumored to undertake a private trip to the US this summer, and if it happens, it will mark a significant moment in their lives.
Prince William and Prince George share a deep passion for soccer. And if the latest reports are to be believed, the two future kings may soon embark on a historic father-son trip to the United States, aligning a visit to the FIFA World Cup. Royal biographer Christopher Andersen noted that the Waleses are "over the moon with excitement," revealing that a friend of the Middleton family spilled the details. But one strict royal rule might be a hiccup as two immediate heirs to the British throne are prohibited from flying on the same plane or helicopter.
Speaking to Fox News Digital, the royal author said, "This would also mark the first time the Wales children have ever set foot on American soil." Anderson further added that Prince William serves as the president of England's Football Association and is expected to support the national team during the World Cup. However, there is no official confirmation from the royal family, and Kensington Palace firmly denied the US plans when questioned. "There are currently no public plans for a trip to the U.S. Hoping for a great performance from England, though!" the palace told the publication.
Despite the official denial, Andersen suggested the Waleses might still arrange a private trip. Pointing to the intense media coverage surrounding Princess Catherine's recent two-day trip to Reggio Emilia in northern Italy, the author speculated that the Prince of Wales could orchestrate a similar unannounced departure. The speculation aligns with earlier reports detailing plans for both King Charles and William to travel to America. While the King and Queen Camilla completed a successful state visit to the US in April, the Prince is anticipated to fly out for the FIFA World Cup in June, with England scheduled to play in New Jersey on June 27. And if British royals expert Hilary Fordwich is to be believed, the Waleses might take a brief summer trip to the US.
Fordwich further noted that, given his position as the heir apparent and his 20 years as the Football Association's president and patron, the Prince of Wales might turn up to cheer on England during the World Cup. "He’s also said he believes England can win the World Cup again, after last doing so in 1966," she highlighted. Royal commentator Amanda Matta also touched on the topic, noting rumors that the Prince and Princess of Wales may attend America’s 250th anniversary celebrations. While this suggests a potential family trip is in the works, the plans will likely be kept quiet due to strict royal protocol.
"My sources tell me that the Princess of Wales is along for the ride, and for one inescapable reason," royal author Andersen said. "Following royal protocol and to protect the line of succession, direct heirs to the throne are barred from traveling together, a rule that took effect when George turned 12 last year." Echoing this sentiment, royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams highlighted that the monarchy rarely allows two future kings to travel together. However, if this trip goes as planned, it could yield the most significant public relations triumph for the monarchy in decades.