Prince William Gets Emotional About Kate's Cancer Battle: 'Our Family Couldn’t Cope Without Her'
Prince William let out his vulnerable side during a live radio interview, opening up about the Princess of Wales' cancer battle and the deep toll it had on their family.
Prince William has been a strong pillar of support for Kate Middleton throughout her cancer journey. Bringing that devotion into full view, the Prince of Wales, in a very rare moment, showcased his emotional side as he appeared on the Heart radio breakfast show. Speaking live with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden, from a cafe on the Isles of Scilly, the Prince lauded his wife’s resilience and the calm strength she showcased during her cancer battle, candidly admitting that his family would not have been able to 'cope without her.'
Reflecting on her strength, the Prince of Wales shared, “She's an amazing mum, an amazing wife, and, literally, our family couldn’t cope without her, so she's been absolutely stunning, brilliant." He expressed immense pride in her dedication, particularly her extensive research into promoting safe parenting skills. Highlighting his wife's unwavering commitment to her work, William noted he often finds her surrounded by paperwork, and shared her excitement after her recent Italy trip ― her first since her cancer remission ― noting she came back 'buzzing.' “She's a proper pro on early years. Most evenings, I’m fighting to get past in the bedroom, what paperwork that she's got lined up, ready to read. So, I'm so pleased it went well for her, and yeah, I think she came back buzzing,” he revealed.
William further stressed the need for careful planning to ensure the Princess of Wales maintains her health and morale alongside her royal duties and personal goals. “Make sure she's, she's okay and rested, but she's in good form,” he said. This open reflection echoes comments the Prince of Wales made last October, regarding how the family was coping with the life-altering news of her illness. At the time, he highlighted the need for an open dialogue, especially with his children, so that they could comfortably adapt to the situation. "We talk about the things that bother us, the things that trouble us. But you never quite know the knock-on effects it can have," he told Eugene Levy during the Oct. 2 episode of Apple TV+’s The Reluctant Traveler.
Then, in 2024, while on a solo trip to Cape Town, Prince William stated that 2024 had been the ‘hardest’ and most ‘testing’ period of his life. He admitted that balancing royal duties and family commitments has been "really difficult." However, he complimented his wife for her resilience during the unexpected circumstances, stating, "I'm so proud of my wife." Meanwhile, from a personal sense, he described the experience as 'brutal,' BBC reported.
The Princess of Wales, who is now in remission, has gradually increased her royal workload and is preparing to take on more international travel. She recently concluded her solo trip to Italy, focused on her early childhood development work, and if reports are to be believed, she may soon accompany the Prince to India for the 2026 Earthshot Prize awards ceremony in Mumbai.