Security Breach: Police Called To Meghan Markle & Prince Harry's Montecito Mansion Nine Times In As Many Months
Yikes. Ever since Meghan Markle and Prince Harry moved into their Montecito, Calif., home, the couple just can't catch a break.
Police have been called to the pair's home nine times in as many months, according to official data.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office has responded to calls listed as phone requests, alarm activations and property crimes, data obtained under Freedom of Information (FOI) laws reveal.
In July 2020, officers were called to Meghan and Harry's $14 million abode. The calls, which were made in the early morning, were listed as "alarm activations."
In August, the request is listed as "Misc Priority Incdnt," and there was another alarm alert in November.
FROM CHRISTMAS SERVICES TO TROOPING THE COLOUR: HOW THE ROYALS CELEBRATE THEIR INTRIGUING FAMILY TRADITIONS
As The Royal Observer previously reported, a man named Nickolas Brooks reportedly drove from Ohio, where he lived, to California to visit the duo. After being caught for trespassing on their property on Christmas Eve, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's officers let him off with a warning.
Two days later, Brooks returned to Meghan and Harry's home and was arrested and charged with one count of misdemeanor trespassing.
According to the data, sheriff's deputies were called to the pair's property at 4:13 p.m. on Christmas Eve after they learned Brooks had allegedly trespassed. When they returned at 2:54 p.m. on December 26, the call was listed under "Property Crimes."
The most recent call was an "alarm activation" at 2:21 a.m. on February 16, 2021.
HOME SWEET HOME! FROM BUCKINGHAM PALACE TO WINDSOR CASTLE — SEE MAGNIFICENT PHOTOS OF THE BRITISH ROYAL RESIDENCES
The news comes soon after Harry and Meghan, who share son Archie, told Oprah Winfrey about how he had to dip into his savings to get security for his family.
“I had to afford security for us,” the 36-year-old said after learning that he would no longer have that luxury after stepping back from the royal family. “[I was cut off] in the first quarter of 2020. But I’ve got what my mom left me and without that, we would not have been able to do this.”
"The biggest concern was while we were in Canada, in someone else's house, I then got told, short notice, that security was going to be removed. By this point, courtesy of the Daily Mail, the world knew our exact location," he explained.
He added, "So suddenly it dawned on me — 'Hang on a second, the borders could be closed, we're going to have our security removed, who knows how long lockdown is going to be, the world knows where we are, it's not safe, it's not secure, we probably need to get out of here.'"