Home / The Sussex Family / Prince Harry

MasterChef Judges Feared "Security Breach" During Prince Harry's Call to Meghan Markle

MasterChef judge recently cleared the air about whether Prince Harry's surprise video call to Meghan Markle was staged or not.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle attend the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration in Victoria, British Columbia. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Vito Amati/The David Foster Foundation)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle attend the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration in Victoria, British Columbia. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Vito Amati/The David Foster Foundation)

In April this year, it was announced that Meghan Markle would be making a special appearance on MasterChef Australia, and fans waited patiently for the episode to drop. To the delight of Sussex supporters, viewers not only got to see Markle but also caught a fun glimpse of Prince Harry. The Duke of Sussex made a surprise video call to his wife during the shoot, leaving both judges and contestants cooing.

Prince Harry surprises Meghan Markle on a video call during her MasterChef Australia shoot
Prince Harry surprises Meghan Markle on a video call during her MasterChef Australia shoot. (Image Source: Instagram | @masterchefau)

Despite the romantic moment between the couple, a nagging suspicion lingered that the call was staged. However, MasterChef judge Sofia Levin revealed the truth during a recent red carpet appearance at the Logies. “It was very real,” she said via News24.com.au, “It was so real that usually they tell us what's going to happen in advance—they didn't tell us.” In fact, the unexpected timing of the call made Levin and fellow judge Poh Ling Yeow think that there was a “security breach.” The food journalist said, “The bit that probably didn't make it into that edit was Poh and my ... faces, because we thought there had been a security breach. If someone sort of interrupts like that (that's what you assume).”

It was only after seeing Harry’s face that they “sort of figured out what was happening.” Levin further added, “Afterwards we (told Markle) 'You totally should have told us.'” She also mentioned that from her perspective the video call was “not planned.”

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex visit Bondi beach on October 19, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Image Source: Getty Images | Samir Hussein/WireImage)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visit Bondi Beach on October 19, 2018, in Sydney, Australia. (Image Source: Getty Images | Samir Hussein/WireImage)

For the episode, the Duchess of Sussex created a special challenge for the top 4 contestants at MasterChef. She brought along a bounty of vegetables and tasked the home cooks to prepare a dish featuring one of the ingredients as the hero. Markle also spoke fondly about her kids, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, and the eating habits she tries to inculcate in them. While the judges and contestants seemed thrilled to welcome royalty to the MasterChef kitchen, speculation about on-set tiffs and cold shoulders started circulating as soon as the episode was announced.

Levin cleared the air about the Duchess, saying, “None of the bad stuff is true. She was just an absolute delight. People are really mean. My experience of Meghan was that she loved food... we hung out when we weren't filming... she didn't run off to her green room. She wanted to talk about beekeeping and her kids and the things she likes to cook and eat. It was really nice getting to see that side of her.” 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle greet members of the public at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (Image Source: Getty Images I Cameron Spencer)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle greet members of the public at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia. (Image Source: Getty Images | Cameron Spencer)

Markle had shot for the special episode during her 4-day tour to Australia in April. She and Harry had travelled Down Under on a privately funded work trip where they undertook several public engagements, including her appearance on the culinary show.

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

Meghan Markle's brand site experienced its lowest monthly total of the year in July, with visits dropping in five of the last six months.
By Mary Anthony · 19 HOURS AGO
Royal experts break down Prince Harry’s shifting image in the UK.
By Mary Anthony · 20 HOURS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh criticism as their latest creative project tanks at box office.
By Ira Deokule · 20 HOURS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship dynamic has changed over the years, according to a royal expert.
By Ira Deokule · 21 HOURS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had found their own special piece of home in Montecito, however, it is now temporarily threatened.
By Ira Deokule · 1 DAY AGO
While Prince Diana is an enduring style icon, her own two sons emerged to be her biggest fashion critics for a relatable reason.
By Ira Deokule · 1 DAY AGO
Foster criticized the vulture-like culture of the media and highlighted that a simple moment was turned into a 'hurtful lie'.
By Mary Anthony · 1 DAY AGO
During the star-studded David Foster Foundation Gala, Meghan Markle shared a heartfelt message with the expectant singer.
By Medha Sengupta · 1 DAY AGO
Political differences are reportedly putting a chill on Meghan Markle and David Foster’s Hollywood friendship.
By Mehak Walia · 1 DAY AGO
Royal expert analyses what went wrong with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after leaving the royal family in 2020.
By Ira Deokule · 1 DAY AGO