Now that Prince Andrew has settled his sexual abuse case with Virginia Roberts, Rachael Maskell, the Labour MP for York Central, thinks the royal should have his Duke of York title revoked.
"Although it is a relief that Prince Andrew has finally acknowledged and expressed regret for his close association with a convicted sex offender and sex trafficker, Jeffrey Epstein, his long delay in doing so and initial response to the charges and Ms. Giuffre have been a source of deep hurt and embarrassment to many people across the city," she said in a statement.
"Carrying a title does create an ambassadorial relationship with that place, and for somewhere with a global reputation, such as York, this is extremely important. It is to be welcomed that he has now pledged to support the fight against the evils of sex trafficking and its victims," she continued. "To demonstrate his seriousness in this endeavor, and his respect for those affected by abuse and the people of our city, I would ask that his first act of contrition is to confirm his support for the withdrawal of his ducal title."
Maskell also took to Twitter to share her thoughts on the ordeal. "A young woman trafficked & exploited. She bravely spoke out. People of privilege, position & power tried to suppress & silence. This must be a turning point, where York is not a Duke's title but a people's movement to fight for the rights of women & girls," she wrote.
In order for Prince Andrew's title to be removed, parliament would have to get involved. However, Maskell isn't the only one who wants to see a change — Darryl Smalley, the city's executive member for culture, leisure and communities, said, "Buckingham Palace and the government must consider the implications of the troubling allegations moving forward."
Earlier this year, Queen Elizabeth took drastic measures against her son.
"With The Queen's approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen," Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Thursday, January 13. "The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen."