Prince Charles Won't Make Prince Edward The Duke Of Edinburgh 'Immediately,' Expert Claims

prince charles wont make prince edward duke of edinburgh immediately
Source: MEGA

Jul. 15 2021, Published 10:26 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Title war! Prince Edward is supposed to inherit the Duke of Edinburgh title after Prince Charles becomes King one day, but the 72-year-old is reportedly changing things up.

Article continues below advertisement

Now, Buckingham Palace officer Dickie Arbiter said Charles will give his brother the title, but in due time.

"That Prince Edward will become The Duke of Edinburgh in the next reign was his father's and is his mother's wishes and Prince Charles won't go against those," he said. "It won't happen immediately, but by 2029, when Edward turns 65, it will. Time for speculation, without substance, to cease."

Article continues below advertisement

Earlier this week, a source told The Sunday Times that "the prince is the Duke of Edinburgh as it stands, and it is up to him what happens to the title. It will not go to Edward."

Another source added, “Edinburgh won’t go to them [the Wessexes] as far as the prince is concerned.”

Article continues below advertisement

Last month, Edward revealed what the title meant to him.

Article continues below advertisement

“It's a very bittersweet role to take on because the only way the title can come to me is after both my parents have actually passed away," he said. "It has to go back to the Crown first. My father was very keen that the title should continue, but he didn't quite move quickly enough with Andrew, so it was us who he eventually had the conversation with. It was a lovely idea; a lovely thought.”

In another interview, Edward noted that the title wasn't entirely his just yet.

Article continues below advertisement

“It was fine in theory, ages ago when it was sort of a pipe dream of my father’s ... and of course it will depend on whether or not the Prince of Wales, when he becomes king, whether he’ll do that, so we’ll wait and see," he said.

Article continues below advertisement

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the Prince of Wales said he has not come to any conclusion yet.

“All stories of this nature are speculation and no final decisions have been taken," they noted. "It would be inappropriate and disrespectful to the Queen to comment on matters of accession and we will be maintaining our long-standing policy of not doing so.”

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.