Prince Charles Is 'Furious That It Has Taken 27 Years' For Martin Bashir's Lies To Be Exposed, Claims Source

prince charles furious taken  years martin bashir lies exposed
Source: MEGA

May. 24 2021, Published 12:58 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Last week, it was revealed that Martin Bashir used "deceitful" methods to gain access to Princess Diana for his famous 1995 interview. 

Article continues below advertisement

The report, which was compiled by former High Court judge Lord John Dyson, stated that Bashir, 58, forged two false bank statements to manipulate Diana into sitting down and talking with him

Now that Bashir's lies have been exposed, Prince Charles — who was married to Princess Diana for 15 years — “is privately furious that it has taken 27 years. The interview and allegations caused long-term damage to the future king and his household," a source told The Sun

Article continues below advertisement

Even though Charles is upset, he will not "react publicly," a friend told the outlet. 

Article continues below advertisement

In the interview, Diana spoke about how Prince Charles was having an affair with Camilla Parker-Bowles at the time. She famously said: "There were three of us in this marriage."

After the report was published, Prince William and Prince Harry both responded to the investigation

Article continues below advertisement

"I would like to thank Lord Dyson and his team for the report. It is welcome that the BBC accepts Lord Dyson’s findings in full – which are extremely concerning – that BBC employees: lied and used fake documents to obtain the interview with my mother; made lurid and false claims about the Royal Family which played on her fears and fuelled paranoia; displayed woeful incompetence when investigating complaints and concerns about the programme; and were evasive in their reporting to the media and covered up what they knew from their internal investigation," the statement, which was obtained by The Royal Observer, began. 

Article continues below advertisement

The note continued, "It is my view that the deceitful way the interview was obtained substantially influenced what my mother said. The interview was a major contribution to making my parents’ relationship worse and has since hurt countless others. It brings indescribable sadness to know that the BBC’s failures contributed significantly to her fear, paranoia and isolation that I remember from those final years with her. But what saddens me most, is that if the BBC had properly investigated the complaints and concerns first raised in 1995, my mother would have known that she had been deceived."  

For his part, Prince Harry said: "Our mother was an incredible woman who dedicated her life to service. She was resilient, brave, and unquestionably honest. The ripple effect of a culture of exploitation and unethical practices ultimately took her life. To those who have taken some form of accountability, thank you for owning it. That is the first step towards justice and truth. Yet what deeply concerns me is that practices like these — and even worse — are still widespread today. Then, and now, it's bigger than one outlet, one network, or one publication. Our mother lost her life because of this, and nothing has changed. By protecting her legacy, we protect everyone, and uphold the dignity with which she lived her life. Let's remember who she was and what she stood for."

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.