Home / The Sussex Family / Prince Harry

Buckingham Palace Sets the Stage for a New Battle Between Harry and King Charles

Prince Harry and King Charles might be drawn farther than ever just when they were about to reconcile and logistics might play a big part in it.

King Charles, and Prince Harry attend the New Zealand Memorial Service marking the centenary of the World War One Gallipoli campaign. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Paul Edwards-Pool)
King Charles, and Prince Harry attend the New Zealand Memorial Service marking the centenary of the World War One Gallipoli campaign. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Paul Edwards-Pool)

The royal drama has so many twists and turns that one might get dizzy just trying to sort through it all. And Monday is proof enough. In the morning, Prince Harry’s team confirmed that he had accepted King Charles’ invitation to stay at Buckingham Palace. But immediately after that, the palace announced that the Duke of Sussex had informed them too late of his decision and therefore would not be staying at the royal residence.

Prince Harry departs the Rolls Building of the High Court after giving evidence during the Mirror Group phone hacking trial on June 6, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Prince Harry departs the Rolls Building of the High Court after giving evidence during the Mirror Group phone hacking trial in London, England. (Image Source: Getty Images I Max Mumby/Indigo)

According to reports, the palace needs a minimum notice period to ensure that a guest can be hosted and provided with staff from the Royal Household. Royal sources claimed that Harry had not formally responded to the invitation by the deadline, which was the end of last week. So, on Saturday evening, he was told he could no longer stay at Buckingham Palace during his visit to London this month. Another aspect that apparently complicated the matter was that the court's decision in Harry’s case against Associated Newspapers is set to be published on Tuesday (July 7th, 2026). There were reportedly concerns that the Duke staying at the royal residence during such a situation could compromise the King’s constitutional position. 

Although the palace’s announcement about Harry not staying at Buckingham Palace may have seemed like a disheartening full stop to months of drama, it has only opened up new cracks. The royal version of what happened is in stark contrast to the Sussexes’ version of events. While the palace said the Duke was past his deadline in confirming his stay, a Sussex spokesperson claimed that the invitation had been “withdrawn”, meaning that the offer had been accepted by both parties earlier. The Sussexes believe the impending court result was the underlying reason for the withdrawal. 

(L) King Charles, at the Opening Ceremony of Invictus Games in London, England; (R) Prince Harry at St Paul's Cathedral in London, England. (Image Source: Getty Images | (L&R) Max Mumby/Indigo)
(L) King Charles, at the Opening Ceremony of Invictus Games in London, England; (R) Prince Harry at St Paul's Cathedral in London, England. (Image Source: (L&R) Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

A spokesperson for the Sussexes told The Independent that it was “disappointing that the offer has now been withdrawn, with Tuesday’s judgment in the Associated Newspapers Limited case cited as the reason. Buckingham Palace has, however, been aware of that judgment since last Thursday”.  

Just when it seemed that the years of strained relationships would somehow be mended with a reconciliation between Harry and Charles, things took a turn for the worse. It had been reported earlier that the primary reason why the monarch wanted to make up with his younger son and daughter-in-law, Meghan Markle, was for the sake of his grandkids, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, whom he hadn’t seen in four years. The King had reportedly gone so far as to offer security along with a royal residence. However, last week, it was announced that Markle and the children won’t be joining Harry in London. It must have certainly been a punch to the gut. 

(L) Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet on With Love Meghan's Netflix set; (R) King Charles attends The Braemar Gathering 2024. Cover Image Source: (L) Instagram| @meghan; (R) Getty Images| Chris Jackson
(L) Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet on With Love Meghan's Netflix set; (R) King Charles attends The Braemar Gathering 2024. (Image Source: (L) Instagram| @meghan; (R) Getty Images| Chris Jackson)

In the past, Harry had been offered to stay at royal residences whenever he visited the UK, but he seemingly never accepted the invitations, according to reports. Buckingham Palace may have now created an even wider rift between the Duke and the King, just when the two were ready to reunite. 

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

King Charles had invited Prince Harry to Balmoral when the late Queen's health worsened, however, one thing didn't sit right with the latter.
By Ira Deokule · 4 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are apparently interrupting their path to success and need a break.
By Mehak Walia · 4 DAYS AGO
MasterChef judge recently cleared the air about whether Prince Harry's surprise video call to Meghan Markle was staged or not.
By Ira Deokule · 4 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle’s MasterChef appearance earned the Duchess adoration from the judges—alongside a few snide remarks from an MKR judge.
By Mary Anthony · 4 DAYS AGO
He reportedly wants to reconnect with his extended family and his plethora of charities in the U.K.
By Mehak Walia · 4 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle's brand site experienced its lowest monthly total of the year in July, with visits dropping in five of the last six months.
By Mary Anthony · 7 DAYS AGO
Royal experts break down Prince Harry’s shifting image in the UK.
By Mary Anthony · 7 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh criticism as their latest creative project tanks at box office.
By Ira Deokule · 7 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship dynamic has changed over the years, according to a royal expert.
By Ira Deokule · 7 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had found their own special piece of home in Montecito, however, it is now temporarily threatened.
By Ira Deokule · AUG 13, 2026