Home / The Sussex Family / Meghan Markle

The Surprising Reason Meghan Markle Is Stepping Back From Podcasts and Interviews

After years of intense media scrutiny, is this the smartest move for the Duchess of Sussex?

Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, speaks onstage at EAN University on August 15, 2024, in Bogotá, Colombia. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Diego Cuevas)
Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, speaks onstage at EAN University on August 15, 2024, in Bogotá, Colombia. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Diego Cuevas)

Meghan Markle has not had it easy in the past few years when it comes to media interaction. As a result, she may now be taking a more careful approach to interviews, especially when it comes to unscripted conversations. After years of intense media attention, the Duchess of Sussex may now be more selective about choosing her platforms.

Meghan Markle in an interview on The Circuit with Emily Chang.
Meghan Markle in an interview on The Circuit with Emily Chang. (Image Source: YouTube | Bloomberg Originals)

Having learned lessons the hard way, Markle is reportedly turning down interviews and podcasts. As per Star Magazine, the Duchess is now routinely declining offers for public appearances or interviews of any kind. The source added, “She’s afraid to go on other people’s shows where she’ll get asked tough questions in a long-form setting." The source also suggested that Markle is simply too guarded for the relaxed nature of podcasting, noting that she is “too guarded and too self-controlled” to enjoy the format.

Further explaining her restraint from interviews, the insider detailed, “Everything she says and does is so manicured and rehearsed that nobody will ever look to her for authentic moments. In podcasting, that’s a death sentence." While many might find her stepping back from the media a little odd, others completely understand her decision given her complicated equation with the press. Markle herself has previously spoken about navigating difficult public moments and being intentional about how she chooses to respond to them.

Alysa Nahmias and Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex seen at a Special Screening Of Roadside Attractions'
Alysa Nahmias and Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, seen at a special screening of Roadside Attractions' "Cookie Queens" at AMC The Grove 14 on July 28, 2026, in Los Angeles, California. (Image Source: Getty Images | Eric Charbonneau/Roadside Attractions)

During an April 2025 episode of her Confessions of a Female Founder podcast, she said, “No matter what scale you’re at, there’s going to be a point where you’re going to take a hit. There’s a point where you’re going to decide if you’re going to cower, conquer, or rise above it.” Limiting interviews could therefore be less about avoiding the press altogether and more about carefully controlling the circumstances in which she chooses to speak.

After years of headlines and scrutiny, a carefully chosen interview may simply feel safer than an unpredictable conversation where a single answer can quickly become the next big royal story. Since the beginning of her time in the royal family, Markle has had a rough run-in with the British media. Even after she and Prince Harry stepped down from royal duties, they remained intensely covered by the press, with Harry speaking openly about the heavy impact British tabloids had on his wife.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle during a Scar Tree Walk on April 16, 2026, in Melbourne, Australia. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Asanka Ratnayake)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle during a Scar Tree Walk on April 16, 2026, in Melbourne, Australia. (Image Source: Getty Images | Asanka Ratnayake)

During his January testimony in his privacy case against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday, Harry became emotional while discussing the effect of the press coverage. He added, “By standing up here and taking a stand against them, this has continued to come after me,” the Duke of Sussex said as his voice cracked. “And they have made my wife’s life an absolute misery, my Lord.”

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

King Charles had invited Prince Harry to Balmoral when the late Queen's health worsened, however, one thing didn't sit right with the latter.
By Ira Deokule · 2 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are apparently interrupting their path to success and need a break.
By Mehak Walia · 2 DAYS AGO
MasterChef judge recently cleared the air about whether Prince Harry's surprise video call to Meghan Markle was staged or not.
By Ira Deokule · 2 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle’s MasterChef appearance earned the Duchess adoration from the judges—alongside a few snide remarks from an MKR judge.
By Mary Anthony · 2 DAYS AGO
He reportedly wants to reconnect with his extended family and his plethora of charities in the U.K.
By Mehak Walia · 2 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle's brand site experienced its lowest monthly total of the year in July, with visits dropping in five of the last six months.
By Mary Anthony · 5 DAYS AGO
Royal experts break down Prince Harry’s shifting image in the UK.
By Mary Anthony · 5 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh criticism as their latest creative project tanks at box office.
By Ira Deokule · 5 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship dynamic has changed over the years, according to a royal expert.
By Ira Deokule · 5 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had found their own special piece of home in Montecito, however, it is now temporarily threatened.
By Ira Deokule · 6 DAYS AGO