Home > HEIRS & SPARES > PRINCE WILLIAM

Royal Insiders Call Out Harry’s Version of Heated Row With William: 'It Was a Cheap Shot'

Prince William and Prince Harry host a reception to officially open the 2018 Illegal Wildlife Trade Conference at St James's Palace on October 10, 2018, in London, England (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Tolga Akmen/WPA Pool)
Prince William and Prince Harry host a reception to officially open the 2018 Illegal Wildlife Trade Conference at St James's Palace on October 10, 2018, in London, England (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Tolga Akmen/WPA Pool)
Feb. 17 2026, Published 09:18 AM. ET
Link to Facebook Share to X Share to Flipboard Share to Email

Nearly three years after Spare sent shockwaves through the Royal Family, one of its most explosive claims is once again under scrutiny. Prince Harry’s account of a physical altercation with Prince William, which was reported as a symbol of the brothers’ breakdown, is now being challenged by sources close to the Prince of Wales. In his 2023 memoir, Harry described a heated confrontation at Nottingham Cottage in Kensington Palace. According to the Duke of Sussex, the argument began when William raised concerns about Meghan Markle’s alleged behaviour towards palace staff, describing her as 'difficult' and 'abrasive.'

Prince Harry and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, arrive to view tributes to Diana, Princess of Wales, left at the gates of Kensington Palace after visiting the Sunken Garden. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/ Indigo)
Prince Harry and Prince William arrive to view tributes to Diana, Princess of Wales, left at the gates of Kensington Palace after visiting the Sunken Garden (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

Harry claimed the exchange escalated dramatically, writing that William grabbed him by the collar, knocked him to the floor, breaking a dog bowl beneath his back, and ripping his necklace in the process. The allegation was among the most talked-about passages in the book. However, a new biography—William and Catherine: The Intimate Inside Story by Russell Myers—presents a different perspective. Drawing on sources said to know about the incident, the book suggests the episode may not have unfolded as dramatically as described. Prince Harry’s assertion that Prince William physically attacked him during a heated argument has been described as “massively overblown” by an insider.

“It was a cheap shot [from Harry] to present such an argument. Tensions were running very high, and yes, there certainly were cross words exchanged that on reflection were regrettable, but the prince [William] is adamant there was no physical violence,” one source says in the biography. William has never publicly responded to the claims made in Spare. His silence, according to those close to him, has been deliberate. But insiders cited in the new book question whether the narrative presented by Harry overstated what was, in their view, a deeply emotional but non-violent disagreement between brothers.

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend an Anzac Day service at Westminster Abbey on April 25, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Eddie Mulholland - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Prince William, Meghan Markle, and Prince Harry attend an Anzac Day service at Westminster Abbey on April 25, 2018, in London, England (Image Source: Getty Images | Eddie Mulholland/WPA Pool)

Harry had also accused William of amplifying tabloid narratives about Markle, suggesting that media portrayals fuelled the confrontation. Yet a source quoted in the biography offers another angle, saying palace staff had been 'ground down' by the Sussexes’ behavior. “It wasn’t peddling a tabloid narrative to stick up for staff that were deeply unhappy to the point of walking away or having their mental health being affected,” the source adds.

The biography does not stop at revisiting the brothers’ rift. In excerpts serialized by The Mirror, further details emerge about how senior royals responded to the Sussexes’ decision to step back from royal duties. The Princess of Wales, according to the book, was less inclined than William to intervene, reportedly believing that Harry’s departure was “inevitable.” Over time, she is said to have realized she “could do no more to bring the brothers together,” despite once being regarded as a “voice of reason” during the deterioration of their relationship.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince William, Prince of Wales attend Katharine, Duchess of Kent's Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince William, Prince of Wales, attend Katharine, Duchess of Kent's Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

The book also touches on William’s reported stance following ex-Prince Andrew’s 2019 Newsnight interview, suggesting he wanted his uncle removed from royal life immediately. In addition, it offers new context on how William and Catherine navigated public and private challenges—including the Princess of Wales’s shocking cancer diagnosis—while shaping what they see as a modern monarchy fit for a period of significant change.

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories