Home / The Sussex Family / Meghan Markle

Prince Harry’s UK Homecoming Could Start With a $13M Financial Blow

Prince Harry's return to the UK is already shaping up to be an expensive one, and surprisingly, it has nothing to do with Meghan Markle.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, speaks at the International Association of Privacy Professionals Conference on March 31, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Shannon Finney)
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, speaks at the International Association of Privacy Professionals Conference on March 31, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Shannon Finney)

Prince Harry's return to the UK is already shaping up to be an expensive one, and surprisingly, it has nothing to do with Meghan Markle or the monarchy. The Duke of Sussex is expected to move back to Britain with Markle later this month, but before settling into their new life, he is facing another major financial headache. It is a huge legal bill following his recent court defeat. 

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND - JULY 10: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex  during the Invictus Games
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, during the Invictus Games "1 Year To Go" event at the National Exhibition Center on July 10, 2026, in Birmingham, England. (Image Source: Getty Images | Samir Hussein/WireImage)

Following his infamous court defeat against the publisher of the Daily Mail, Harry has been ordered to pay a share of Associated Newspapers’ legal costs. A High Court judge ruled on Friday that the claimants must make an interim payment of around $13 million by August 28. Harry is one of seven claimants involved in the case, alongside high-profile names including Sir Elton John, David Furnish, Elizabeth Hurley, Sadie Frost, Baroness Doreen Lawrence, and Sir Simon Hughes.

According to Hello magazine, Mr Justice Nicklin said the claimants and their legal advisers had been aware that the payment would be due. "The claimants and their advisers have been on notice, since the hearing, that this would be the date for payment on account," he said. Judge Nicklin added that he was “quite satisfied” that an order for indemnity costs should be made, which is more favorable to Associated Newspapers.

Britain's Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, speaks to The Associated Press after a roundtable about support for veterans, Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Washington, as Sarah Verardo, CEO, of The Independence Fund, listens. (Image Source: AP Photo | Alex Brandon)
Britain's Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, speaks to The Associated Press after a roundtable about support for veterans, Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Washington, as Sarah Verardo, CEO of The Independence Fund, listens. (Image Source: AP Photo | Alex Brandon) — AP Photo/Alex Brandon

However, while things seem to be settling now, the bill could eventually grow even larger. Associated Newspapers previously said its total costs for defending the case had reached around $47 million, a figure the court described as “exceptionally high.” The judge declined to place a cap on the amount the publisher could recover. 

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 16: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex during a Scar Tree Walk on April 16, 2026 in Melbourne, Australia. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are on a four-day visit to Australia, with engagements across Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney. (Photo by Asanka Ratnayake/Getty Images)
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex during a Scar Tree Walk on April 16, 2026 in Melbourne, Australia. (Image Source: Getty Images | Asanka Ratnayake)

The latest verdict comes just weeks after Harry lost the privacy battle following an 11-week trial. Although the judge said he accepted the evidence Harry gave at trial, he found that the Duke had limited evidence on the disputed issues. For Harry, the legal setback comes at a particularly significant moment. He and Markle have announced plans to return to the UK after more than six years living in California. Along with the amount Harry is ordered to pay the publication, he is also in for a major expense related to moving to the UK.

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

King Charles had invited Prince Harry to Balmoral when the late Queen's health worsened, however, one thing didn't sit right with the latter.
By Ira Deokule · 4 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are apparently interrupting their path to success and need a break.
By Mehak Walia · 4 DAYS AGO
MasterChef judge recently cleared the air about whether Prince Harry's surprise video call to Meghan Markle was staged or not.
By Ira Deokule · 4 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle’s MasterChef appearance earned the Duchess adoration from the judges—alongside a few snide remarks from an MKR judge.
By Mary Anthony · 4 DAYS AGO
He reportedly wants to reconnect with his extended family and his plethora of charities in the U.K.
By Mehak Walia · 4 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle's brand site experienced its lowest monthly total of the year in July, with visits dropping in five of the last six months.
By Mary Anthony · 7 DAYS AGO
Royal experts break down Prince Harry’s shifting image in the UK.
By Mary Anthony · 7 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh criticism as their latest creative project tanks at box office.
By Ira Deokule · 7 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship dynamic has changed over the years, according to a royal expert.
By Ira Deokule · 7 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had found their own special piece of home in Montecito, however, it is now temporarily threatened.
By Ira Deokule · 7 DAYS AGO