Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Get Silent Treatment From Royal Family on Their Anniversary
On May 19th, 2026, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle marked their eighth wedding anniversary with an intimate celebration.
Considering the turbulent journey Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have taken in the years after their wedding, it's remarkable how they have stood by each other. On Tuesday, May 19th, 2026, the couple marked their eighth wedding anniversary with an intimate celebration at their home in Montecito, California, surrounded by their kids, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet. Meghan also took to Instagram to share a rare glimpse of never-before-seen photographs from their 2018 royal wedding, alongside sweet moments from the celebration. However, sources have now revealed that no senior member of the Royal Family, either publicly or privately, reached out to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to mark the special day, raising doubts about a potential future reconciliation.
As reported by Rob Shuter, one insider stated, “There was no phone call, no private message, no peace offering, absolutely nothing. The silence was very intentional.” Ever since the couple stepped away from royal life and relocated to the United States, their relationship with the broader royal family has remained strained. Tensions especially grew after a series of allegations and revelations shared by the Sussexes through memoirs, interviews, and various public appearances. But this time, things appeared to be strained on both sides, with none of them seemingly making an effort to bridge the gap.
While Markle shared a series of photos, royal watchers were quick to notice that none of them featured any of the Royal Family members, except for one photo that captured King Charles walking his daughter-in-law down the aisle. Speaking of this, a source said, “That omission did not go unnoticed. The photos focused entirely on Harry and Meghan. It was like the royals had been erased from the story.” Former royal butler Grant Harrold suggested that the omission may have stemmed from a long-standing royal protocol.
As reported by Marie Claire, Harrold revealed, “The royals have strict ‘no camera’ rules at their weddings to stop this kind of happening. And it wasn’t just weddings. If we ever caught someone using a camera inside a royal home, we had to take the phone and delete the photos. They were really, really strict about it.” About Markle’s recent post, he said, “I imagine this was intentional and that they were very careful with the images they picked. I don’t think it was a snub or anything like that, but they know there would have been a high chance the palace would ask for them to be removed.”
Meanwhile, the timing of these rifts has particularly drawn attention, as a few days ago, there were speculations about a possible 'Project Thaw,' an attempt from Harry’s side to ease long-standing tensions with his dad, King Charles, and brother, Prince William. Harry and Meghan, along with their children, are allegedly planning to spend over a month in Europe soon, with their Portugal villa serving as their primary base. The Duke is seeing it as an ideal opportunity for Charles to build a meaningful bond with Archie and Lilibet, believing that now it’s very important for the children to have the chance to spend time with their grandfather.