Another loss for Prince Andrew: the royal has given up his golf club membership as his sexual assault trial looms.
On Friday, January 28, The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews revealed the news.
“I can confirm that The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews has received notification that the Duke of York will relinquish his Honorary Membership," a spokesperson said in a statement. “We respect and appreciate his decision.”
Last year, Virginia Roberts sued Andrew for allegedly raping her when she was 17 years old. Andrew tried to get the case thrown out, as Roberts doesn't currently live in the U.S., but the judge dismissed the request.
Andrew has recently broken his silence regarding the accusations.
In the documents, he stated that he "hereby demands a trial by jury on all causes of action asserted in the complaint."
“Assuming, without admitting, that Giuffre has suffered any injury or damage, Giuffre and/or others, who are not Prince Andrew, contributed in whole or in part to the alleged damage," the documents read, adding that her "claims are barred by the doctrine of consent" and are “barred in whole or in part by her own wrongful conduct and the doctrine of unclean hands.”
Going forward, it looks like Andrew's future is bleak.
"If he goes to trial, he will either lose by having a verdict against him or he will lose because it will be the most pyrrhic victory in history because every single bit of dirty laundry he's ever had will be aired out in public," former U.S. federal prosecutor Mitchell Epner told Good Morning Britain.
Epner added that it will be difficult for him to discuss why he was holding onto Roberts in a photo that was taken back in the day.
"40-year-old men don't just randomly put their arms around 16 or 17-year-old girls they do not know are not related to, or not the children of friends at random parties," he said. "That does not occur."