Home / The Sussex Family / Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle Offers Subtle Olive Branch to King Charles After Wedding Portrait Snub

Markle’s move comes in the wake of King Charles removing the couple's wedding portrait from a celebrated display in his Highgrove house.

Meghan Markle arrives accompanied by King Charles during her wedding to Prince Harry at St George's Chapel. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Jonathan Brady)
Meghan Markle arrives accompanied by King Charles during her wedding to Prince Harry at St George's Chapel. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Jonathan Brady)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are celebrating their 8th wedding anniversary today. To commemorate the momentous event, the Duchess of Sussex delighted fans with a collection of never-before-seen photos from their wedding. However, one monochromatic throwback image from the carousel speaks volumes about Makle’s inner turmoil and her early efforts to reconcile with her father-in-law, King Charles.

King Charles looks on as Harry coverses and Meghan Markle poses during the Sussex wedding in 2018. Image Source: Instagram | @meghan
King Charles looks on as Harry converses and Meghan Markle poses during the Sussex wedding in 2018. Image Source: Instagram | @meghan

The third image from the shared daytime celebration shows the monarch standing a few feet away, staring towards Harry, while Markle, looking stunning in a bridal gown and veil, faces away from the camera as her page boy assists her. The image serves as an iconic visual, freezing the moment just after King Charles walked the Duchess down the aisle when her own father, Thomas Markle, was unable to attend the royal nuptials. 

Markle’s subtle nod, viewed by some as a sign of atonement to the monarch, comes in the wake of King Charles removing the couple's wedding portrait from a celebrated display at Highgrove House. The photo, previously showcased on a small wooden table, was notably absent during a recent event hosted by royal photographer Chris Jackson, leaving only two other photo frames in its place. The disappearance of the wedding portrait, a fixture of the display since 2024, has raised eyebrows among royal fans. Former royal butler, Grant Harrold, who served Charles from 2004 until 2011, revealed that the move sends a strong message to the Sussexes, especially since no one can alter the decor of a royal residence without the monarch's explicit approval. "The only person that can move pictures or move things around is the King himself. So it has to be the King's decision," Harrold said while appearing on The Royals Uncensored podcast.

Two remaining photos on King Charles' work table at his Highgrove estate. (Image Source: Instagram | @ChrisJackson)
Two remaining photos on King Charles' work table at his Highgrove estate. (Image Source: Instagram | @ChrisJackson)

Meanwhile, commentator Samara Gill suggested that removing a royal photo signifies a serious rift, labeling it almost a 'declaration of war', given that the Royal Family historically prefers to exclude individuals discreetly. "You know, the royal family, they don't shout it, but they do freeze you out quite politely. And the symbolism of that is subtle, but it's quite brutal," she told Sky News Australia. The 'Triggered With Samara Gill' host further stated that the king appears heartbroken over Prince Harry's actions, particularly against the backdrop of his own struggles with cancer.

<strong>Meghan Markle, Prince Charles, and Prince Harry on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on June 9, 2018, in London, England.</strong> <em>Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby</em>
Meghan Markle, Prince Charles, and Prince Harry on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on June 9, 2018, in London, England. (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby)

"I think this is sort of endgame now. You know, when you see in his speeches, even just recently, he only ever references William and Catherine. And that is because those are the people who stood by him during very hard times," she highlighted. With the rift between the Palace and the Sussexes continuing to widen, it remains to be seen whether Markle's subtle olive branch to the King will do anything to thaw the relationship. 

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

King Charles had invited Prince Harry to Balmoral when the late Queen's health worsened, however, one thing didn't sit right with the latter.
By Ira Deokule · 5 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are apparently interrupting their path to success and need a break.
By Mehak Walia · 5 DAYS AGO
MasterChef judge recently cleared the air about whether Prince Harry's surprise video call to Meghan Markle was staged or not.
By Ira Deokule · 5 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle’s MasterChef appearance earned the Duchess adoration from the judges—alongside a few snide remarks from an MKR judge.
By Mary Anthony · 5 DAYS AGO
He reportedly wants to reconnect with his extended family and his plethora of charities in the U.K.
By Mehak Walia · 5 DAYS AGO
Meghan Markle's brand site experienced its lowest monthly total of the year in July, with visits dropping in five of the last six months.
By Mary Anthony · AUG 14, 2026
Royal experts break down Prince Harry’s shifting image in the UK.
By Mary Anthony · AUG 14, 2026
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh criticism as their latest creative project tanks at box office.
By Ira Deokule · AUG 14, 2026
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship dynamic has changed over the years, according to a royal expert.
By Ira Deokule · AUG 14, 2026
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had found their own special piece of home in Montecito, however, it is now temporarily threatened.
By Ira Deokule · AUG 13, 2026