King Charles and Prince William Had No Idea Andrew Would Get Arrested: Report
Neither King Charles nor Prince William reportedly had advance knowledge that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor would be taken into custody on February 19. This development reportedly blindsided the senior royals and alarmed the monarchy as a whole. As per Page Six, the royal father-son duo was not informed ahead of time that the disgraced royal would be arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, notably on the morning of his 66th birthday. The unexpected detainment has again put the spotlight on the ex-Duke and placed renewed pressure on the royal family as it was steadying itself.
As the news broke, Charles promptly addressed the same in a formal statement. His concern and his position were at the forefront as he did so, making it clear, “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.” He added, “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
Reports also reveal that while William and Kate Middleton are yet to speak publicly after the arrest, they are in full 'support' of Charles’ statement. The King had also shared his 'profound concern' about his sibling last week regarding his association with Jeffrey Epstein. A representative speaking on behalf of His Majesty mentioned that his “thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with the victims of any and all forms of abuse.”
While the King reiterated support for due process, other members carried on with their scheduled duties on the day of Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest. Queen Camilla proceeded with a luncheon and met musicians while attending a concert at Sinfonia Smith Square Hall in London as the venture’s royal patron. She chose not to comment when asked about the Epstein scandal and how her brother-in-law was involved in forwarding classified information while serving as the UK’s special representative for International Trade and Investment.
These accusations are at the center of the police probe. If convicted, Mountbatten-Windsor stands a chance to face a maximum sentence of life in prison.
The arrest took place in Wood Farm in Sandringham estate. Mountbatten Windsor had reportedly been staying at the residence following his eviction from Royal Lodge earlier this month. As per the BBC’s reports, half a dozen police cars were spotted in the said Norfolk property on February 19 as the authorities executed searches. A statement from Thames Valley Police mentioned, “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” adding that they wished to keep the man’s identity anonymous, later identified as Mountbatten-Windsor.