Breaking: Ex-Prince Andrew Arrested on His Birthday by UK Police — Key Details Revealed
After unending pressure on the monarchy and the police, it appears Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's controversial past actions have finally caught up with him. On February 19, on his 66th birthday, UK authorities raided Wood Farm, where the former Prince had been banished after his eviction from Royal Lodge. The police are said to be investigating allegations that, while serving as a UK trade envoy, he shared confidential government information with late financier Jeffrey Epstein.
As reported by the BBC, Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, and half a dozen police cars were seen near his Sandringham home. Shortly after his arrest, Thames Valley Police said in a statement, "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time," adding that they will be keeping the identity of the person anonymous.
Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest follows confirmation from Thames Valley Police that it was looking into a complaint filed by the anti-monarchy group, Republic. They had alleged that the former Prince shared confidential information with Epstein during his time as the UK's trade envoy, a role he held from 2001 to 2011. The emails were made public last month, on January 30, by the United States Department of Justice as part of the latest release of the Epstein files. Trade envoys are responsible for promoting British business overseas and are required to keep sensitive information confidential, even after leaving the position, which Mountbatten-Windsor breached.
After Thames Valley Police confirmed their initial investigation, Buckingham Palace released a statement on February 9 on behalf of King Charles, vowing to cooperate with their findings. It read, "The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor's conduct. While the specific claims in question are for Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect."