Queen Elizabeth II To Enter 8 Days Of Mourning Following Husband Prince Philip's Death

elizabeth mourning
Source: MEGA

Apr. 9 2021, Updated 11:42 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Queen Elizabeth II will enter eight days of mourning following her husband Prince Philip's death, which occurred on Friday, April 9. 

Article continues below advertisement

According to royal protocols, the 94-year-old will not carry out any royal duties during this time and affairs of state will be put on pause. 

Additionally, other members of the royal family will not partake in royal engagements. The country will go into a period of 10 days of mourning, while the royal household will do so for 30 days. Members of the family and guardsmen will wear black armbands on their clothes during that period. 

Article continues below advertisement

Flags will be flown at half-mast in the U.K. — but not outside of Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. 

Article continues below advertisement
Source: The Royal Family/Twitter

Philip's funeral will likely be small due to COVID-19 restrictions, and per his request, he will most likely have a royal ceremonial funeral, which means he will not lie in state.

Article continues below advertisement

On Friday, April 9, Buckingham Palace confirmed the sad news about the Duke, who married the Queen in 1947. 

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle," the Royal Family Twitter account wrote.

Article continues below advertisement

“Further announcements will be made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss. Visit http://royal.uk to read the announcement in full."

Article continues below advertisement

Philip — who would have turned 100 in June — had been having health problems over the past several months. He was first admitted to the hospital in February after "feeling unwell."

One month later, the Palace said Philip was being "transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition."

Article continues below advertisement

It was later revealed Philip "underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital" on March 4. 

He was discharged in mid-March after 28 days. 

"The Duke of Edinburgh has today been discharged from King Edward VII's Hospital and has returned to Windsor Castle, following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition," Buckingham Palace said in a statement at the time.

Article continues below advertisement

"His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him at both King Edward VII's Hospital and St Bartholomew's Hospital, and everyone who has sent their good wishes," they added.

Philip is survived by his wife, Queen Elizabeth, their four children, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, his eight grandchildren and his nine great-grandchildren.

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. The Royal Observer is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.