Ahead of the 25-year anniversary of Princess Diana's tragic death, an investigator who was assigned to the case is finally expressing his opinion over the tragedy.
The mother-of-two died on August 31 at age 36 in a fiery Paris car crash that also took the life of her beau, Dodi Fayed, and her driver Henri Paul. While some believe the incident was set up by someone trying to kill Diana, police officer David Douglas stated in his August 19 TV interview that he thinks otherwise.
"It's my absolute total belief it was a terrible, tragic accident in which three people lost their lives and one other person [Diana's bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones] had their life turned upside down," he shared.
In Douglas' opinion, it was the unfortunate set of circumstances that led to the blonde beauty's death, as she wasn't wearing a seatbelt and the car was being chased by speeding paparazzi. Equally as important, it was later disclosed that her driver was under the influence of alcohol and prescription drugs at the time.
"When you look at most incidents, accidents, you find there's a chain of events, and if any one of those chain of events had been different, it might not have led to that happening," Douglas explained. "For example, if they'd been wearing seatbelts, our experts tells us it was probably an 80% chance that they would have survived the accident."
"Still would have been a terrible accident, they would have been badly injured, but would probably not have been fatal," he continued. "Yes, Henri Paul had been drinking alcohol — he certainly wasn't drunk, we never said that — but we all know that if you have any alcohol, it impairs your ability to drive."
Douglas also pointed out that in 2006, he and colleague Lord Stevens published their "transparent" 832-page police report on the web.
"I'm absolutely convinced, totally," he said of the tragedy being an accident. "Anybody in the world can read the work we've done. I believe every word that's in the document. I stand by every word."