Home / The King

Sir Cliff Richard Makes Emotional Plea to King Charles After His Cancer Update

Sir Cliff Richard agreed with the King's take on the illness and highlighted how his cancer is now 'gone,' thanks to the early diagnosis.

(L) Sir Cliff Richard at Wimbledon Men’s Semi Finals Day 2025; (R) King Charles III departs after attending the Christmas Morning Service at Sandringham Church on December 25, 2023. Cover Image Source: (L) Facebook | @CliffRichard; (R) Getty Images | Step
(L) Sir Cliff Richard at Wimbledon Men’s Semi Finals Day 2025; (R) King Charles III departs after attending the Christmas Morning Service at Sandringham Church on December 25, 2023. Cover Image Source: (L) Facebook | @CliffRichard; (R) Getty Images | Step

There is nothing more valuable than one's health, and the past few years have served as living proof of that for the royal family. First, King Charles was diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer, followed by Princess Kate’s own diagnosis. When Prince William appeared on The Reluctant Traveler with Eugene Levy, he spoke candidly about how the back-to-back diagnoses were incredibly difficult for the family. Yet, by God’s grace and with the help of modern medical advancements, they have been navigating their way through the turmoil.

King Charles shares a rare update on his cancer during a Channel 4 broadcast.
King Charles shares a rare update on his cancer during a Channel 4 broadcast. (Image Source: YouTube| Channel 4)

Recently, Charles shared a happy update that he will be reducing his treatment next year, and emphasized how essential it is for people to undergo regular health screenings. He stressed that early detection can indeed save lives. Now, Sir Cliff Richard has echoed the same. The legendary British singer and actor has also been open about his battle with prostate cancer. The 85-year-old previously revealed to ITV that his cancer was detected at an early stage and, fortunately, had not spread. He learned of his diagnosis while he was on tour, following a routine medical check-up. “I was going to Australia and to New Zealand, and the promoter said, ‘Well, we need your insurance, so you need to be checked up for something.’ They found that I had… prostate cancer,” he recounted.

Charles, meanwhile, recently addressed the nation through Channel 4's new broadcast, Stand Up To Cancer, where he new of his improving health. Talking to The Independent, Richard agreed with the King's perspective and highlighted how his cancer is now 'gone,' thanks to the early diagnosis.

Cliff Richard signing guitars for them to auction for 'Guitar Aid.' (Image Source: Facebook| @CliffRichard
Cliff Richard signing guitars for them to auction for 'Guitar Aid.' (Image Source: Facebook| @CliffRichard

“I don’t know whether it’s going to come back. We can’t tell those sorts of things, but we need to, absolutely, I’m convinced, get there, get tested, get checked," he added. Talking to host Dermot Murnaghan, The Young Ones actor also shared how he would love to work with the King to raise awareness on cancer and the advantages of regular check-ups. "I’ve been involved with many charities over the years, and if the King is happy to front it for us, I’m sure loads of people, I certainly would join him…" he said.

“If the King is listening, I think most of us would say ‘yeah – we’re available,’” he added. Richard also called for broader screening facilities across the country, as the UK National Screening Committee announced draft recommendations for a targeted prostate cancer screening programme. “We all deserve to have the same ability to have a test and then start treatments really early. It seems to me – I’ve only been for one year now in touch with cancer, but every time I’ve talked with anybody, this has come up, and so I think our government must listen to us," he explained.

Sir Cliff Richard during his 2025 Birmingham performance. (Image Source: Facebook| @CliffRichard)
Sir Cliff Richard during his 2025 Birmingham performance. (Image Source: Facebook| @CliffRichard)

If the UK National Screening Committee's announcement draft gets implemented, the programme would invite men aged 45 to 61 with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 genetic mutation to undergo biennial screening.

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

King Charles has come under fire over his Christian commitments, with a former royal chaplain questioning whether he has stayed true to his Coronation oath.
By Hrishita Das · 4 DAYS AGO
Charles and Camilla’s 2005 wedding came with strict rules, forcing them to change their plans and give up the ceremony they had wanted.
By Hrishita Das · 5 DAYS AGO
Buckingham Palace recently shared archived footage of the then-21-year-old Prince to commemorate London Climate Action Week.
By Mary Anthony · 6 DAYS AGO
An employee’s curious click accidentally aired King Charles’ death protocol by a radio station, triggering a broadcasting violation and social media chaos.
By Mary Anthony · 7 DAYS AGO
Apparently, there is only one aspect of his life in which King Charles has complete control.
By Mehak Walia · 7 DAYS AGO
The picturesque Scottish setting will allow King Charles to recharge before returning to official duties.
By Mehak Walia · AUG 10, 2026
The King's latest visit to the Castle of Mey included a symbolic gesture celebrating family legacy.
By Medha Sengupta · AUG 7, 2026
King’s Trust ambassador breaks down her most mortifying celebrity encounter—and how Charles handled the ultimate icebreaker.
By Mary Anthony · AUG 6, 2026
An American comedian introduced himself to King Charles with an impersonation, but the monarch's witty three-word reply quickly became the funniest moment of the visit.
By Medha Sengupta · AUG 5, 2026
Royal experts have explained why King Charles and Queen Camilla often spend weekends apart, and it's not because of marriage troubles.
By Hrishita Das · AUG 5, 2026