Home / Royal News / Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle’s Former Aides Stayed Silent on Alleged Bullying Fearing ‘Revenge': Author

Ex-royal staff allegedly feared Markle’s 'infinite' capacity for revenge, claims author who first broke the story about the Duchess's bullying.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, visits New Zealand House to sign a book of condolence on behalf of The Royal Family following the recent terror attack, which saw at least 50 people killed. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, visits New Zealand House to sign a book of condolence on behalf of The Royal Family following the recent terror attack, which saw at least 50 people killed. (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

Former Palace staff who accused Meghan Markle of bullying have been left emotionally rattled and afraid of possible retaliation, according to a veteran royal journalist. Despite having long parted ways with the Sussexes, the aides reportedly still fear what she might do, given that her "capacity for revenge was infinite."

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attends a panel discussion, convened by The Queen's Commonwealth Trust, to mark International Women's Day.(Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, attends a panel discussion, convened by The Queen's Commonwealth Trust, to mark International Women's Day. (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

According to royal author Valentine Low, who first reported the bullying allegations in 2021, some staffers remained in a 'psychologically delicate state' even years after leaving the royal household. Speaking on the Kinsey Schofield Unfiltered, Low said, “They were very worried about what Markle would do to them. They viewed her capacity for revenge as infinite.”

The bullying claims first surfaced just days before Markle and Prince Harry’s much-publicized Oprah interview. At the time, the couple dismissed the allegations as part of a 'calculated smear campaign' designed to discredit them. Their spokesperson argued that the claims were rooted in 'misleading and harmful misinformation.'

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, travel down The Mall in a horse-drawn carriage during Trooping The Colour. (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, travel down The Mall in a horse-drawn carriage during Trooping The Colour. (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

But Low insists the story was solid. “I had sight of various bits of documentary evidence. I saw things that totally backed up the story. I had utter confidence,” he said recently, adding that Harry and Markle’s lawyers had tried to block the story with strongly-worded legal warnings, only to fall silent after publication. Low argued that the timing of the report was crucial. Publishing it before the Oprah interview, he said, ensured it wouldn’t be brushed aside as 'sour grapes'. “If it came after, Markle would have come across as a heroine. The whole narrative would have been about her being victimised," the Daily Mail reported. 

Since 2017, the Sussexes have been reported to have lost more than 25 staff members, many of whom, according to Low, found the working environment extremely tough. The most high-profile among them is Jason Knauf, once a close aide to the couple, who later accused Markle of driving two personal assistants out of the royal household and undermining the confidence of another staffer.

Knauf's 2018 internal complaint, leaked after the Sussexes' royal exit, accused Markle of 'totally unacceptable' treatment. He alleged she was “always intent on having someone in her sights.” Despite leaving the royal household in 2021, Knauf publicly reaffirmed his claims earlier this year, stating he had 'no regrets' and 'wouldn’t change a thing.'

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, attends a ceremony to open the new Mersey Gateway Bridge on June 14, 2018, in Widnes, England. (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, attends a ceremony to open the new Mersey Gateway Bridge on June 14, 2018, in Widnes, England. (Image Source: Getty Images | Max Mumby/Indigo)

While the Palace launched an internal review into the allegations, the findings were never released. Meghan’s team responded with strong denials and accused the Firm of failing to support her mental health during her time as a royal. Low, who wrote the book Courtiers, said Markle had been carefully documenting incidents in the lead-up to her royal exit, framing a narrative of being unsupported. “She was leaving a trail of evidence so she could later say: look how they failed me,” he wrote.

Some former staffers, however, paint a different picture, describing Markle as kind and thoughtful. Gifts, skincare products, and gestures of appreciation were part of her management style. But others say that kindness didn’t always last. As one source put it, “She was lovely when it was all going her way, but a demon when the worm turned.”

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

Princess Eugenie had kept her newborn daughter's name a secret for days but has now chosen to finally announce it.
By Ira Deokule · 1 DAY AGO
The recent years have not been easy for Princess Beatrice following her parents’ scandal and subsequent rumors of marriage troubles.
By Medha Sengupta · 1 DAY AGO
Keeping out of the public eye, Sarah Ferguson is reportedly using one ex-boyfriend's luxury estate as a quiet summer hideaway.
By Medha Sengupta · 1 DAY AGO
According to new reports, the disgraced former royal remains included in long-standing contingency arrangements despite his removal from royal duties.
By Hrishita Das · 1 DAY AGO
The UK Epstein Survivors Campaign expressed optimism, believing a meeting with the influential political figure could lead to justice for survivors.
By Mary Anthony · 1 DAY AGO
The royal family marked Princess Anne's birthday on Saturday with a tribute honoring a major sports connection that began entirely by accident.
By Ira Deokule · 3 DAYS AGO
Princess Beatrice made elaborate preparations to avoid unwanted attention and marked her entry to Paddy McNally's funeral via a private road.
By Mary Anthony · 4 DAYS AGO
While the world would expect someone with Diana's stature to avoid reading about themselves, the Princess did the exact opposite.
By Medha Sengupta · 4 DAYS AGO
As per royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams, King Charles is sure to be 'overjoyed' at the young royal's career choice.
By Medha Sengupta · 4 DAYS AGO
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle appeared in good spirits as they arrived for an event, but things soon took an awkward turn, especially for Markle.
By Medha Sengupta · 7 DAYS AGO